Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Spread a little hope...and bark chips!



Today marks the birthday of Martin Luther King. For the first time in the 19 years I've worked for SAIF, we were given the day off...and a challenge: spend your holiday giving back. I probably would have ignored this if not for the prodding and example set by some of my coworkers who devote themselves to serving others. In an ad hoc committee meeting, my name was raised, I was approached, and, since the "giving back" involved one of my favorite places - the Minto Brown Dog Park - I agreed.

We had a glorious day for spreading bark chips along the muddy trails. As you'll recall, just a few weeks ago, the park was mostly under water. But today was one of those confusing Oregon winter days - brisk chill in the early morning hours giving way to a pleasant high 40s, sunshine and blue sky. (We all know the rain will return, but in the meantime, we lie to ourselves saying this is how the weather always is in January!)

I happily greeted six co-workers along with three additional family members and four dogs at 9 a.m. at the still frosty dog park. As an added bonus, two other ladies who had heard about our endeavors asked to join us. We divied up chores and set about to move a mound of bark chips to the muddy trails. The Minto Brown Dog Park does not allow motorized vehicles, so moving all the wood chips was down by wheelbarrow, pitchfork and rake (all graciously provided by the City of Salem).
The crew worked steadily and cheerfully for a good two-half hours. Clearly a lot of physical labor for us office workers! Our dogs enjoyed themselves spending their time playing with each other, greeting other dogs in the park and inspecting our bark spreading abilities.

It might be the timing of this MLK Day. We are on the cusp of a momentous inauguration. A glimmer of hope in these dim days is breaking through. The idealist in me seems to be gaining a foothold. We didn't cure cancer today. We didn't solve the world's hunger crisis. We didn't restore the stock market. But we made a few trails less muddy and were thanked by those walking by.

Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.
--Martin Luther King, Jr.






3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Great post -- and a job well done.

Unknown said...

This is one of the best places to take dogs. Texas just lets their guys run free (truly against all laws in place). I wish there were dog parks in my area. I have visited this one many times and the dogs always seem to have a great time. I had the privledge of walking the mighty Gracie around the track when acting as surrogate mother while Beth was recovering from surgery. While Gracie was quasi-attentive she was ever watchful for her mother. When she lost site of her for a moment she off like the speed of light in search of her despite my frantic calls to come to me. Alas, an aunt is never as good as a mama.

Chester said...

Good job, gang! Looks like a lovely dog park and I'm sure the dogs will be forever "marking" this as a favorite place! Great idea to have a holiday just for giving back. I hope it catches on.