Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Saturday at the Park


Saturday was a beautiful spring day in Salem...in February. Gracie and I found ourselves among the last to arrive at the dog park Saturday afternoon. I've never seen the park so busy. All three parking lots were full. Cars were lining the roadway and making their own parking spots. I finally had to wedge the Escape in between two big trucks that had created their own parking area. It was a long walk back to the dog park...well, not really, but it's long when your stuck on either end of the leash when freedom is calling.

We made one loop around the big field. I found myself in a contemplative mood, so I marveled at the wonder of the dog park, the size of the off-leash area and the fact that despite all the people, it didn't feel crowded. How lucky we are in Salem to have this open space. Gracie was in her element. She ran to each person with a happy lab wiggle, proudly showed off her tennis ball (carried firmly in her mouth at all times) and waited for the forthcoming back rub. Gracie gets complimented for two attributes - her enthusiasm and the softness of her coat. I frequently asked what I feed her. It's Blue. But even as a puppy, her coat was silky soft. I jokingly tell people it's because I walk her in the rain all the time. Who knows...maybe it is.

I'm not sure who benefits more from our trips to the dog park...Gracie certainly because of the exercise and her need to be social; or me, because I feel so contented there and get such a joy from watching the dogs be dogs.

3 comments:

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Well, we didn't make it to the park this weekend...Sitka had another adventure on Friday. She ate the contents of our bathroom wastebasket and we were concerned that she might have some problems. I'm feeding her less than ususal, she's drinking a normal amount of water and everything else seems okay. BAD GIRL!

Beth said...

Sitka and Gracie must be kindred spirits. Gracie loves kleenex, TP, empty TP rolls and dryer sheets. You might also check out a prior post on my blog entitled "Brother can you spare a sock?" She ate 4.

But alas...this too shall pass.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

"Pass" indeed...this morning at 5AM she threw up a HUGE pile of stuff that you don't even want to know about. But she still managed to eat her breakfast. She's out in the sunroom and I'm keeping an eye on her today. She's not a sock eater, but we have lost some underwear over the years...