Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

The sun is shining, why are we inside?

It's a fair question. Usually when the sun is shining - and even on days when it isn't - Gracie and I head to the dog park. As the daylight hours lengthen, we can even manage an occasional weekday trek if I get out of the office right at 5 p.m. and traffic isn't too crazy on the drive home. But our outings were thrown off track last week.

It began as an annoying cough Wednesday morning. By Wednesday night, I knew I was in trouble and Thursday morning found me achy, congested, coughing, red-eyed and cranky. I stayed home, curled up in the recliner blowing my nose every 30 seconds and trying not to break a rib from coughing. I hoarsely told Gracie she'd have to go potty out back. No walks today. No dog park.

She took the news in stride and, for the most part, tried to play the role of nurse offering me her Pig for comfort. (No thanks, Pal. Even with a stuffed up nose, that thing doesn't smell so great!)

Friday rolled around and I was still down for the count. Gee whiz, anyone catch the person who threw the brick at the back of my head? Gracie sat forlornly, chin upon the window sill staring outside at the beautiful sunny day. Sorry, girl. I barely made it to the couch today. You'll have to settle for out back, again.

Saturday brought a glimmer of hope that this flu bug was moving on. I rallied in the morning for a trip to the dog park. When we got home, I slept for 2 hours.

Today another minor improvement. We got to the dog park this morning and I only needed a one hour nap afterwards.

No comments: