Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

A helping paw

My dad was in the hospital last week. As the paramedics were taking him out of his house last Tuesday night, my parent's cat, Nick, started yowling. Dad's main concern at that point was Nick's welfare. Never mind his own medical crisis that was brewing. I had to make sure Nick was OK before we left the house.

We are a family of animal lovers. My sister has two Chihuahuas - Pelli and Chisum. Mom and Dad have Nick the cat. And, of course, there is Gracie and Mungo. Our animals give us peace amid a world that is often chaotic and where unexpected events throw us into a tail-spin. Thank God for our faithful animal companions who remind us that there is a little a good belly rub won't cure.

On Saturday I was returning to Dad's hospital room when I saw one of my coworkers and her golden retriever walking the hallway. I called her over and she brought Isabella into the room to see Dad. He had been pretty tired, but perked up (a little bit) at the sight of Isabella. For the next 10 minutes, Colleen regaled us with stories of Isabella's upbringing which all led to her becoming a hospital volunteer. Both Colleen and Isabella sported name badges. Isabella is smiling in her picture.

Later that day, as we were taking Dad home, a woman entered the hospital with her Cocker Spaniel. We inquired - are dogs allowed? The CNA nodded yes, that family pets were permitted to visit. This, to me, is a miracle of modern medicine. It speaks well of our area hospital that it acknowledges the healing powers and comfort our pet companions can bring during challenging times.

Dad is home now. Nick is on his lap. We take our next cue from our animal companions - one day at the time, and, when possible, find a nice sunbeam to lie in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are right dear sister, there is nothing like the steady love of a pet. There are some days I know I would not get by without their love and devotion. Wishing I could bring them with me when I am visiting. Maybe next time. Thanks for a great post. Love always.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Wow. Is that Salem Hospital you're talking about?

Beth said...

Cynthia & Mike - yes Salem Hospital. I was surprised they allowed family pets to visit, but I saw two dogs (in addition to Isabella) there.

In 2006, my parents lived in Seaside, Oregon. Dad was laid up in the hospital there for several weeks with a hip fracture. I brought Gracie for a visit on several occasions. I think the nurses appreciate the visit as much as the patient!