Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hot spots

From the title of this post, you might imagine I'd be writing about sunny location and warm environs. After several months of cold, damp weather, I would love to find myself right now in a nice hot spot...maybe Phoenix, or the Big Island, or a Mexican seaside village.


However, most dog owners know that the phrase "hot spots" does not refer to an exotic locale, but a frustrating and painful lesion that dogs can often incur as a result of allergies (or in some case obsessive-compulsive behavior).

Spring is springing into Oregon despite the continued chilly temps. As the trees start budding, Gracie's allergies start blooming. I'm not really sure if she is allergic to the tree pollen, but this time every year she suffers from skin rashes.


In years past, Gracie has developed a severe rash on her belly and thighs called pyoderma. It's a type of staph infection that requires antibiotics. I have tried to be extra vigilant this year to keep that area clean and sprayed with her topical medicine. I guess that's why the hot spot that developed on her chin surprised me.

I had noticed her rubbing her chin on her paws off and on, but did not think much of. Then one night, she jumped off the bed, and I noticed a silver dollar size stain of blood on the quilt.

Naturally, these events always take place at night or on the weekend, so as a pet owner you are faced with the dilemma- emergency vet or wait for morning? We waited. Monday morning, we showed up at the vet's office.

Grace is now on a course of antibiotics as well as some topical medicine. It's been a week and it looks some better but not much. We have a check up scheduled for next Monday.

As I look out the window at this cold, wet, windy day in Oregon, I'm wishing Gracie and I were dealing with a different kind of hot spot.

1 comment:

AMY said...

Poor Grace! Is that the red raised bump type of rash I've seen some dogs have? I hope her meds give her relief.

Darwin, my darling Chow/Retriever mix who left us last year, developed odd quarter sized sores that looked like volcanoes! When the first one appeared we rushed to the vet and stared the whole series of steps to find out what and why. It was just "environmental allergies." Bizarre!