Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Sound of Freedom

Gracie and I sat out front yesterday evening just as the sun was setting over the west hills of Salem. The sounds of Oregon firecrackers began popping and whistling throughout the neighborhood. As mentioned in my last posting, this noise does not seem to bother Grace. True to form, she rested at my feet. Her concern was less for the noise echoing off the hills, than for the neighbor cat Romeo who was sauntering across the street.

It was early. Still light enough to see the crossword puzzle I was working on, but the anxious kids (young and old) could wait no longer and fireworks were exploding all around me. I could hear them, not see them. No one on my block was setting off fireworks...yet. (My neighbor, Jenn was busy preparing for her show, which she informed me would take place in 1 hour.) As dusk turned to dark, people were becoming more bold. Illegal fireworks purchased in neighboring Washington were now lighting up the sky. I'm fascinated by these roman candle type fireworks - first the flares brightening the sky and then a percussive bomb.

As I sat in my chair enjoying the Washington products and listening to the rat-a-tat of the legal fireworks, I began to wonder about the people in far away places from whom these sounds were not joyful or fun. People who hear these sounds more than once a year. People who hear these sounds, not as marks of freedom, but of klaxons of destruction. I thought about our marines in the Helmand province of Afghanistan. Just then a nearby burst of firecrackers went off. Is that what machine gun fire sounds like? That whomph sound as one of those illegal roman candles is launched - is that what mortar fire sounds like? The percussive bomb as the sky lights up with red, green and white flares - what does that mimic?

To say that I'm glad to be able to celebrate American freedom would be an understatement. But I can't help but wonder about, and worry about all the people in the world for whom these sounds are not happy. Who do not oooh and aah at the pretty colors and loud noises. Christmas is usually the time we all hope for peace on earth. I guess I'll just start hoping a little earlier this year.

2 comments:

AMY said...

Awesome reflection. Very powerful. Thanks for posting it.

No fireworks viewing for us this year.

Jayson said...

Very nicely written, and also as the other commenter said a nice reflection. I too feel this way each year. It has to not be a good thing for veterans, maybe POW escapees, or people who have lost their friends or family to war.

Thanks for sharing.

Jayson