Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Friday, July 3, 2009

The rockets red glare

Gracie was about 3 months old when July 4 rolled around. I had heard stories about dogs coming unglued at the sound of fireworks. Grace and I were already beginning some challenges as puppy and clueless companion. I had to wonder what the 4th might bring.

From my deck, I can see a fairly spectacular fireworks show put on by a private golf club two miles south. That first 4th I stood on the deck with a puppy Gracie sleeping - head on my foot. I had leashed her just in case. The first boom echoed acrossed the hills. I glanced down. She didn't even budge. She slept through the whole show. And for all the July 4ths since, she has barely mustered a half-hearted glance in the direction of the noise.

This year will be much the same. I'll stand on the deck and watch the fireworks...and, occasionally, nudge Gracie lest she miss the whole thing.

1 comment:

AMY said...

Isn't that funny how everydog is different? Bijou, our first furkid was a German Shepard and so not worried in the least by pops and bangs. You'd think she was deaf! Then there was Darwin, Chow/Retriever mix who was just terrified of beeps -- things like microwaves, smoke alarms with low batteries, etc. The poor guy would cower in terror at the smallest BEEP.

Silly kids. The two remaining, Winston and Marissa, pretty much look at each other. "Does that bother you? No? Oh, okay then. It doesn't bother me either." Of course the opposite happens, too -- one thinks something is worth getting excited about and the other is off on high alarm and alert before even knowing what it's all about.

Hope you had a great weekend.