Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Sleepover

Gracie had a guest this weekend, a six-year old yellow lab named Sockeye. Sockeye and Gracie had not met before, so it was a bit dicey to introduce a new dog to our home for a weekend visit, but something told me they would get along. And they did.

Gracie seemed glad to have a playmate and we had several sessions of wrestlemania in the living room. I only had to interveen twice when it appeared one of the dogs was getting irritated. At that point, we'd all go out back and get somre fresh air. I was grateful to have Sockeye here for what turned out to be a miserable weather weekend - gusting winds and driving rain. I scooted the coffee table out of the way which opened up the floor plan a bit for them to wrestle and play chase. Sockeye enjoyed rooting through Gracie's toy box and pulled out all of the toys. With each toy she pulled out, Gracie would take away as if to say "I was just going to play with that." Nevermind that she hadn't played with the toy in over six months.

Sockeye was the perfect house guest. She didn't chase Mungo. Her first night here, she quietly curled up on the floor next to the bed. I woke up about 1:30 a.m. and looked at her. I patted the bed and she jumped up. Of course, both Sockeye and I were regulated to opposite corners of the bed since Gracie likes to sleep on the diagonal...on her back...front and rear legs stretched out.

It was a great weekend. I wonder if a second dog might be in our future?



Sockeye wanted to play with both the football and the frisbee!



Checking out the toy box.




Wrestlemania: Revenge of the Sockeye

No comments: