Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Walkies

When I first brought Gracie home - at 8 weeks - my backyard was not fenced. So Gracie learned at an early age how to walk on leash. After the fence was built, I still found myself going outside with her. By then she was so use to me being with her out back, she wouldn't go out by herself. I've tried to tell her on several occasions that dogs love being outside by themselves. But alas, she'd rather be with me. The downside to this...I often find myself standing out back in the rain, cold, and wind at 2:30 in the morning, while she sniffs around for the right potty spot.

Gracie and I go for a lot of walks. One of my objectives in bringing a dog into my life was to make sure I stay active. I know myself - I'm prone to sitting on the couch like a lump. Gracie makes sure we have a nice balance between lumping around on the couch and exploring the neighborhood. We are faithful walkers with at least one walk each day, and most days two walks.

Here are some tips I've learned over the years:
  • Invest in some good rain gear and some good walking shoes.
  • For the winter months, be sure to wear high visibility colors or safety vests, especially if walking in the mornings or evenings. This includes the dog as well.
  • Use the right leash. Extension leashes are great, but not suitable for all occasions. They don't allow for total control. So you either need a very obedient dog and one not prone to distractions or you should use a shorter leash. I like the 6 foot leather leash. It is much easier on my hands than a nylon leash.
  • Use the right collar. As a young dog, I used a Gentle Leader harness on Gracie. It was helpful in teaching her obedience on the leash. As she got older and stronger, it was no longer sufficient. We then switched to the prong collar (after receiving proper training in using this type of collar). Now, most of the time, I can just use her regular flat collar on walks.
  • Use care crossing drive ways. Sometimes it is not always easy for the driver to see you as he is backing out of the drive way. Stay alert.
  • Carry a cell phone.
  • Be a good neighbor. Pick up after your dog.
  • Be a good neighbor - Part 2. During our snowy weather, Gracie and I continued our walks. I would notice the newspaper carrier was not able to make his usual front porch delivers due to the weather. So I would toss my neighbors' papers closer to their front door for them.
  • Know your dog. If she always looks for cat poo at a certain home, try crossing the street so the temptation is no longer there.
  • I like to listen to audio books on my MP3 player while walking Gracie. Be sure to keep the volume low, though. You need to be able to hear traffic and other sounds to keep you both safe.
  • Use care when meeting other dogs out for a walk. Some dogs can get aggressive or anxious when meeting other dogs on a leash. Be sure to check with the owner before letting the dogs take a sniff. If you have to, cross the street to avoid any unnecessary conflicts.
  • Have fun. Walking with your dog is a great chance to connect with your dog, enjoy the outdoors, meet your neighbors, and get some exercise. Don't look at as a chore, but as something you get to do!

Happy walking!

No comments: