Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Walking on water

Editor note: I didn't have my camera with me for our first hydrotherapy, so this is from the vet's website.
Gracie had her first hydrotherapy appointment last Thursday in Corvallis. Trina, Gracie's new BFF and vet technician at the West Hills Animal clinic, helped her into the hydrotherapy tank. As the warm water started to fill the tank, Trina said "Dogs will do one of three things: start walking normally - very few do this; try to swim; or simply refuse to move at all." Gracie is not always the most compliant of dogs, so I feared she would opt for the third option. But no. Much to my pleasant surprise, when Trina turned the treadmill on, Gracie started walking as if she had done this all her life.

The process was simple. She walked on the treadmill for about 5 minutes. Then the treadmill was stopped and Gracie relaxed as the warm water swirled around her. Then she did another 5 minutes. And then we were done.

Yes, I suppose it's a long drive from Salem to Corvallis for 15 minutes of treatment, but I'm feeling optimistic that this therapy will help Gracie regain the muscle mass in her left leg and get her back into shape. We will also continue our home exercises and increasing our daily walking time at home. We are now 5 weeks post the femoral osteotomy and 8 weeks post the TPLO. Each day brings us closer to our goals.


1 comment:

Steve Cotton said...

Great news or Gracie. I wish I had known about this place. Jiggs has always thought swimming was merely walking in water.