Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Monday, August 3, 2009

The mother of all tantrums

Gracie threw a tantrum last night...one that would rival even the most determined two-year old.

It began shortly upon returning from our evening walk. I gave her a treat and then threw myself into the recliner. It had been a long day. It got longer. Immediately, Gracie started in wanting more food. She stood in front of me and barked. She barked an excited, happy bark. She barked a low, menacing bark. She gave me the woooo bark of impatience. She made as if to bite the couch cushions. She stamped her feet. (I'm not kidding!) I did my best to ignore her, even though I wanted to burst out laughing at her. She was serious. She ripped the ear off of Pig. Dead serious. In a final act of defiance she trotted down the hallway to the bedroom. I was close on her heels but not close enough. She had jumped up on the bed and was using one of the pillows in a way that it was not designed to be use.

I grabbed her leash and pulled her toward me. My plan was to reach around her waist and help her off the bed and then send her to a time out in her kennel. Her plan was to bite the hand that doesn't feed her. (Well...she actually bit my arm.) Nevertheless, she found herself standing in her kennel as I stomped back into the house.

After regaining my composure, and icing my arm for a bit, I brought her back inside. She was fine. She made a half-hearted attempt to get another treat. I said "no" and she laid down by my feet.

What was that?



A young Gracie destroying my book on how to raise lab puppies.

2 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Wow! I'm not reading this one to Jiggs. During the past month, he has picked up the "I'm-barking-at-you" attitude. He doesn't need any peer reinforcement.

AMY said...

Oh my, that WAS a tantrum for the record books! Good show by you, and I feel for the girl, she's gotta be really wanting to just tear it up and get that energy out. All in due time.