Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

To catch a fly

Gracie is my fly-catcher. She excels at hunting down the intruder and making it pay for its misdirected flight into the house. It's one of the few activities that actually holds her attention for more than 10 minutes.

Several months ago, when Gracie first tore her ACL, we were at the vet's office in Portland waiting for the official verdict. Gracie, who was limited to three good legs, laid on the floor between my sister and me. My sister said "oh, a fly." Gracie was calmly looked up and as the fly zipped past her, she nipped it in mid-flight. Such is her proficiency in fly-catching.

There are some days when I purposely let a fly in the house, just to provide a challenge for Gracie. Gee, I hope the People for the Ethical Treatment of Flies don't find out.

2 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Has Gracie considered running for President?

AMY said...

Marissa is the only dog I've ever had that cared about flies. And care she does. Toward the end of summer, one could call it an obsession. She gets a little whacked out about it, actually.