Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

"Just as we were reaching the car, we heard a commotion from the woods. Something was crashing through the brush - and breathing very heavily. It sounded like what you might hear in a slasher film. And it was coming our way. We froze, staring into the darkness. The sound grew louder and closer. Then in a flash the thing burst into the clearing and came charging in our direction, a yellow blur. A very big yellow blur. As it galloped past, not stopping, not even seeming to notice us, we could see it was a large Labrador retriever. But nothing like the sweet Lilly we had just cuddled with inside. This one was soaking wet and covered up to its belly in mud and burrs. Its tongue hung out wildly to one side, and froth flew off its jowls as it barreled past. In the split-second glimpse I got, I detected an odd, slightly crazed, yet somehow joyous gaze in its eyes. 'I think,' I said, a slight queasiness rising in my gut, 'we just met Dad.'"

When I first read these words in John Grogan's wildly popular book, Marley & Me, I experienced a sense of deja vu. Gracie's father is a black lab named Chopper. He was named after the popular TLC TV series Orange County Cycle, which follows the dysfunctional family antics of Paul, Sr., Paul, Jr., and Mikey, as they establish themselves as one of the nation's premiere custom motorcycle fabricators.
Chopper had that same slightly crazed, yet joyous look in his eye when I first met him. Of course, he was a new father with not one, but two litters of puppies yappying and dancing around him. When I lifted a squirming Gracie out of her bed, I was hoping she would grow to be like her mom -- quiet, gentle and subdued. After four years, I can see that she really is a daddy's girl.

So Chopper, wherever you are, Happy Father's Day.

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I remember reading that passage in the hot tub. I looked over at Jiggs and said: "Yup! I think this book is going to be your biography."

AMY said...

That was awesome!

You know, I have yet to finish Marley and Me. I can't do it. I've had the book in hardcover since it came out. I've loaned it to friends. I did not see the movie.

I think I'll leave it at that.

Beth said...

Lavachickie - The movie was entertaining but the ending was unbearable. I knew what was coming, but still. I cried at the end of the book and at the end of the movie. You would do well to leave it at that.

Steve - how did we raise two incorigible dogs?

Donna said...

Can't wait for Gracie to meet her cousins from Texas. She is going to look like Godzilla to them. Their father's are unfortunately not willing to belly up to bar to be counted so I can only say, thanks to their father's I have wonderful friends. For that I am deeply indebted.