Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Limping along

The title of this post refers more to me than Gracie. Since her initial surgery in April, I have found myself at loose ends on the weekends. Our regular Saturday morning routine has been thrown asunder. I feel like I'm limping along.

My friend, Steve, retired in April and moved to Mexico with his ancient golden retriever, Professor Jiggs. A few weeks ago, the Professor became quite ill. The prognosis seemed bleak. Steve's distress was evident in his blog postings. But Jiggs has become the dog of nine lives. With a new summer haircut, and a reduction in medications, he seems to be back to his old self. In Steve's post today, he talks about getting his "sea legs" back. With Jiggs on the mend, he is once again exploring his new surroundings and enjoying his adventure.

I hope to take a lesson from Steve and Jiggs. I find myself experiencing a strange sense of guilt when I do things on the weekends that Gracie and I once did together. Intellectually, I know that Gracie doesn't care what I do for an hour here or an hour there as long as her meals arrive on time, she gets to have some belly rubs and is allowed her occasional trips to the backyard to go potty. And, I know, we will one day get to resume our Saturday adventures.

So this Saturday, I'll do some of the things we use to do together. As soon as the June rain showers lessen, I'll wander down to Saturday Market and shop for fresh cut flowers and local berries.

I noticed yesterday as I took Gracie to the backyard that she was barely limping. As time marches on and she continues to improve, I suspect my limp will lessen as well.

2 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I have learned to put this dog relationship into context. Jiggs sleeps most of the time I am with him -- the same thing he would do when I would be at work. We owners have a tendency to build barriers where none would otherwise exist. Having said that, I still rush back home every time I leave him alone. But I am glad you are getting out as well.

AMY said...

As Steve has pointed out before, dogs are the best at living in the moment. A lesson we all could learn, too.

Don't worry; sometimes we have to do things for our own good, and it's nice to have someone there to help reinforce that for us. You're being motherly to her and she'll come out the other end of this ordeal in much better shape than she went in.

I'm convinced that, Like a good human partner, a dog would not hold it against you if you took up an opportunity for which they could not join you for whatever reason that was their own. Rather, they'd be upset if you put your own wants and needs aside for pure martyrdom in their name.